Friday, March 20, 2015

Life by Dice Episode 2: Advantages, Disadvantages, Skills Weird Personal Insight

I'm so sorry for not posting on Tuesday! I'm trying to keep a Tuesday thing going and I just never got to it. No excuses! So today is the special Friday edition of the Cyber Mammoth.

So, in episode 1, we went over my basic attributes (Scroll down a bit if you haven't seen it)
and came out with these:
Will and Per are supposed to be the same as IQ.
So, we have our basic attributes but there are still three sections left. But don't worry! It's not very difficult. I'll try to keep it basic.

The final sections are advantages, disadvantages and skills. When actually playing the game, these add effects and powers that can help and hinder your character. Everybody has these in real life so I thought I should do the same. So first, advantages.

Advantages 
...in the game world are mental, physical, and emotional aspects of your character that would give you an edge over other characters that would otherwise have similar abilities. They each cost a certain amount of points.

These are the advantages I took. I consulted some friends about which of them were a good fit and they suggested these. Now, advantages have special, in game uses that won't apply in the real world because, well, you naturally have them. Most of them give you the ability to do something so I chose which things I already can do. I have Common Sense, I'm pretty charismatic, I am double-jointed in my arms, and people say I can really tell when someone's upset or down.
Mimicry and Voice come from my singing. I am pretty good at mimicking famous singer if I do say so myself. In total, my advantages cost me 85 pts. It's weird to have the things your good at quantified into a number.

Disadvantages
...give you points back when you take them but usually subtract from your attributes when trying to perform certain tasks or they require you to have added, detrimental effects. My time spent looking and applying my disadvantages was a humbling experience. When you search for what you are bad at, it's a real challenge to look at things objectively and accept it. So looking through the disadvantages, I had to own up to the negative parts of my personality. I skipped over the whole Quirks section because I couldn't even. So, these are what I took.
These speak for themselves.
 Skills
...are the final pieces of the puzzle that is my character. Let me explain a little about this. Skills are tasks that you may need to accomplish in game, or in my case, life. The most obvious of these is COMBAT! But believe it or not, murder takes skill. I would need to take the "Melee Weapon" skill if I was going to kill someone with the lead pipe in billiards room. BUT! That comes at a cost.

The harder the skill is, the more points it costs. You see "Artist" up there? It says IQ/Hard which means you to roll against IQ to see if you're successful. The "Hard" designator means that it costs more to gain skill in. The "Default" for Artist is IQ-6 which means someone without the Artist skill with an IQ of 13 would have to roll a 7 or under. 13-6=7.

So if I want to roll against my full IQ, I'd have to pay points equal to Attribute-0 on this chart. It would cost 4 points for me to roll against my full skill since Artist is a "Hard" skill.

Anyway, all of that crap out of the way, here are my skills. Most of them are IQ based and relate to skills I actually have in real life. Let's take a look.


BEHOLD my skills. Only four of them are not IQ based so you can see how my IQ attribute is directly related to my skills. So now, whenever I try to do any of these things, I have a better chance of succeeding! Anyway!

NEXT TIME!

I'm going to actually begin the Life by Dice challenge! Hopefully nothing terrible happens. Okay! Well I'll see you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment